Thursday 16 February 2012

A Girls' Valentine (Pt 1): Turkey Meatballs & Spaghetti w/ Spinach Pesto


I'm awaiting for my meatballs, I like them hot:)

So, Valentine's day. A seemingly archaic "holiday" giving restaurants, floral shops and plenty of other businesses a gargantuan profit. Also an excuse for a girl to indulge in chocolate and wine and chick flicks. No need to fret my single ladies, who needs a man when you have balls. Meatballs that is. What else were you thinking?

This Valentine's day, I had a valentine and a date. My amazing friend Adam was my valentine, I even got a cupcake made for me! Except that happened in Calgary, and I'm in Victoria. So I also had a date, with Jenny. We even put on dresses for the occasion. 

This night featured a full menu. A salad, main course, dessert and wine. And a beautiful movie featuring Gerard Butler: PS I Love You. If I actually tried to fit it all onto one post, it would almost qualify as an essay. Ok, maybe not but it'd be too long. So we have part 1 and part 2. 

A Girl's Valentine- Part I

This part of the menu features strawberry spinach salad in balsamic vinaigrette, turkey meatballs with cranberry sauce, and spaghetti in spinach pesto. Let's hit these up one by one shall we?

STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD IN BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
Strawberries
Baby Spinach
Balsamic Vinaigrette
        -1 part olive oil
        -1 part balsamic vinegar
        -1/8 part brown sugar
        -salt and pepper to taste

When I say part, think ratio. 1/2 cup olive oil to 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar to 1tbsp or so of brown sugar. Make as much as you need for however many people you are feeding.


TURKEY MEATBALLS
Adapted from http://www.turkeyfarmersofcanada.ca/recipe/20171-Batch-Turkey-Meatballs/
Recipe makes approximately 20 medium sized meatballs.
1 pound ground turkey
1 egg
1 small onion- minced
2 cloves garlic- minced
1/2 cup ground almond
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp italian seasoning

1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl
3. Make your balls! And put on lined baking sheet.
4. Bake at 350F for 25 min

CRANBERRY SAUCE
1 part cranberries
2 part water
1/2 part white sugar
1. Bring mixture to boil
2. Let simmer for 5-10 min until mixture thickens
3. Lay on the balls

SPINACH PESTO
Recipe makes 1 1/2 cups pesto

2 cups packed spinach (no stem)
1 cup grated parmesan
3/4 cup walnuts
2-3 cloves garlic (depending on your garlic liking)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 lemon- juice and zest
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat up a skillet- lightly toast walnuts... just until you start to smell the nuttiness. 
2. Throw everything in a blender until smooth.

SPAGHETTI

1. Make as much as necessary for however many you are serving. Cook according to package instructions.
2. Toss together with pesto right before serving.


Bon appetite!
Now, you serve all this with wine of course. And then you get right onto dessert:)

No comments:

Post a Comment