Saturday 18 February 2012

Dear Busy Bodies: Slow Cooker Coconut Lime Chicken

Fall off the bone chicken goodness. 
Last post of the reading break. Am I bored of cooking yet? Not a single bit. Wish so dearly I can cook like this all the time. If only eh? So Friday night, and I'm already thinking of my schedule for the next week and cooking for the next week. I guess this whole chicken business will last me at least 2 weeks. Assuming I don't eat it every meal. Which I can't. This is not a dish to have all the time. Now I know.

This dish is super easy. Honestly took me 5 minutes to throw everything together. Maybe I could've trimmed the chicken a bit. There was a significant amount of chicken grease. I spooned it out. As much as I could anyway. 

By cooking the chicken in a broth in the slow cooker, the meat just melted off the bones. I have no bones in the stuff that's in the fridge/freezer right now. It just falls right off! So if you are wanting to make this healthier, you can definitely go with chicken breast. All the meat gets juiced up and soaked in the sweetness of coconut and freshness of lime. Serve this on a bed of rice, quinoa, noodles, potatoes, or any starch and have whatever veges you want on the side and you've got yourself a meal. In my case, I've got myself at least 10 meals. My meals aren't big, I'm more a snacker than a mealer.

So here it is, last post of the reading break then it's back to one post a week. 

SLOW-COOKER COCONUT LIME CHICKEN

Total time: 4 hours
Actual working time 5 min

1 whole chicken (or whatever form of chicken you like)
1 can coconut milk (the standard size one)
1/2 can water
juice of 2 limes
3-4 slices of fresh ginger
2 tbsp brown sugar
salt to taste 
1. Put all your ingredients (except brown sugar and salt) in a slow cooker. Put chicken breast side down.
2. Cook on high for 4 hours.
3. Stir in the brown sugar and salt to taste at the end to prevent over-salting (I'm saying this because I over-salted)

*If you want to have natural sweetness instead, add some raisins into the cooking. I wish I did that instead of adding the brown sugar at the end. To be honest, the brown sugar was for compensating my over-saltedness, BUT, it really brings out the coconut milk sweetness, so I suggest add a little bit of sweetness to the mixture, whatever form you like.

Voila! You have yourself a super easy meal. No tending is needed. Although I tended quite a bit because I was impatient. Then the chicken burnt me. Some liquid splashed out. I have a small scar. Damn chicken. Now I shall have my revenge in devouring you!
My noseyness... I stabbed the chicken breast to let in the juices.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment