Sunday 26 February 2012

Ginger Molasses Muffins to Warm the Heart


There is nothing better than the smell of ginger molasses muffins coming out of the oven on a Saturday morning. Especially when you are supposed to be working. So now I'm paying for it by falling asleep to my textbook at 11:30pm on a Saturday night. Damn procrastination. At least I accomplish something while I procrastinate, so I figure it's not so bad. 

First week back from reading break and the lovely irritable bowel syndrome goes kaboom on me. The constant pain and agony comes on day and night, night and day. Dragging myself through the long days of classes, volunteering and studying. The good thing that came out of this was my parents insisted on having my mom come to stay a while. I have finally faced the fact that crying on the phone to my parents  will not help my condition and will not help them worrying about my condition. So I caved. Now my mom is here. 

I know I am the most spoiled-rotten child with the best parents in the world. I truly truly ever so so so much appreciate what my parents do for me, I really do. To my friends who are putting themselves through school and/or going at this whole university thing all on their own, props. I admired you guys and think you are the most amazing people. There is no way I would be able to do what you do.

It's getting onto midnight and my eyelids are closing. So let's get on with the recipe.

This recipe is a spin-off from the spiced-ginger loaf from last week. I tweaked the recipe a bit, added molasses and kind of made it my own.

They made my place smell like heaven. Especially the fact that it has been raining and windy. We have been getting some sun, which is very nice, but on the most part, it's cloudy and rainy and REALLY windy. I am subjective when it comes to weather in victoria, particularly because I need a good excuse for these heart-warming muffins.


GINGER MOLASSES MUFFINS


Makes: 9 regular-sized muffins
Total time: 35 min
Working time: 10 min
Oven temp: 350F

Forgot about the bottle of fireball from last night, oops!

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
3 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup raisins (optional)
Didn't measure before melting... Exactly 1/4 cup after melting!


1. Combine all dry ingredients, including the ginger

2. Beat the eggs. Beat in all other wet ingredients. (Trick here is to put the butter in the measuring cup first then measure the others, lets the thick stickiness of the honey and molasses flow)
3. Put wet into dry and mix well.
4. If doing raisins... put the raisins in the microwave on high for 1 min with enough water to cover all the raisins. Drain then mix into batter.
5. Put batter in lined or greased muffin tin. (Lined works better for this)
6. Bake at 350F for 20-25 min
7. Try not to eat it right away, but it's hard to resist. Also, try it with the apple butter from last week too!
T@1
T@20
Note: They will get stickier as they cool. DON'T FEAR THE STICKY! It's ok to get your hands dirty while eating, it's ok.

Fresh out of the oven goodness:)

No comments:

Post a Comment