Saturday 31 March 2012

Pre-exam Study Sesh Comfort- Pumpkin Muffins




Deliciously stacked:)

Another week goes by! This week went by really quick. To be honest, I don't even know what happened to my time. Right at this moment, I am blanking on my week. There were some highlights of course, like going out for a lovely dinner date at The Tapa Bar last night. Nothing quite like care-free time with amazing company:) A not-so-great highlight was my night volunteering... longest hour of my life! Constantly tapped, a child rolled on my knees, children not listening... just absolute chaos. However, that's passed. There are moments in there that make it all worth the while. Every smile I see beaming from these kids' faces-- worth all the while.

Speaking of another week goes by, there is only 4 more days of classes left until final exam period! I only have 1 more biochemistry lecture! One more biochemistry test! Then NO MORE BIOCHEMISTRY!!!! It really is not that I don't enjoy the material, I do, it's interesting. I love learning about the chemistry of the body, I just don't have the brains for it. My mind does not work the way biochemists' brains do. Ah well, I have managed to make my way through 7 months of it. But seriously, no more after this. No more.

In the mist of rushing through the last bits of the semester, I am finding myself not really that stressed. I know I have A LOT of studying ahead of me, but maybe the bliss of being in a new relationship is taking that stress away. I am no longer feeling lonely and miserable. I am happy, all the friggin' time. It's kind of ridiculous. You know how awkward it is to walk down the street by yourself and all of a sudden you just get this beaming smile on your face? People generally think you're crazy, or if not crazy, just plain weird.

However, with that said, I do have 2 intense studying sessions coming up this weekend. Biochemistry tomorrow, neuroscience on Sunday. Two very intense subjects. Two tests I'm very very afraid for. Yikes. Yup, it's going to be quite a weekend. Hence, I have made some comfort food in my super productive Friday. So Friday afternoon/night: groceries, 3 loads of laundry (all put away too!), pumpkin muffins, an actually fresh made dinner, 2 lectures worth of biochemistry reading, time to blog, and some quality time with my new guy.

Pumpkin muffins. I know what you're thinking, pumpkin in spring? Well, first off, it's not really spring here. Second, I love pumpkin baked goods. Third, I bought this can of pumpkin in the fall when they first came out and I have been dying to use it. These will make for a great treat for tomorrow's study sesh with my biochem girlies.

These were also another one of my personally devised recipes. It turned out great! Also, I learned a very very very important lesson in cooking... READ THE LABELS! I totally thought I bought all purpose gluten free flour but I didn't... I bought spelt flour. WTF right? I don't even know. But it's all good. I don't need to eat gluten free. Although I'm sure this will work great with all purpose gluten free flour too. I also blundered on the nutmeg, but I managed to fix that one. Thought it was the cinnamon at first. Oops.
It says stoneground organic SPELT FLOUR!

PUMPKIN MUFFINS


These babies smell amazing!
Total time: 45 min
Working time: 10 min
Oven temp: 350F
Makes: 12 hearty muffins

1 cup spelt flour
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup millet
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 eggs
1 can pumpkin (not the pie filling!)
1/2 cup plain yogurt

1. Mix all dry ingredients together
2. Beat the eggs, then whisk in all the rest of the wet ingredients.
3. Add the millet and coconut to the wet.
4. Mix the dry into the wet in batches until just incorporated
5. Pout into lined muffin tin
6. Bake at 350F for 30-35 min

In the oven... waiting Waiting WAITING
ENJOY!

Fresh out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment