Monday 12 March 2012

Lemon Coriander Cookies- My 1st GF Cookie


Started studying today at 10am, it is now 11pm. No, I didn't study the ENTIRE day, probably had a total of 2-3 hours of break. But I also did the same thing yesterday. My brain is fried, like some good ol' southwestern fried chicken. Forgive for the fried chicken reference, I've been listening to The Help audiobook. It is a fantastic audiobook. Fantastic movie. And fantastic book.

Now I really should get on finishing this post so I can get a decent amount of sleep to brace my Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday midterms. Plus, a huge exciting weekend in Edmonton for an interview!

So this is my first time making gluten-free cookies, first time ever. Never followed another recipe, have read quite a few recipes using all sorts of different flours. I was going to make this with coconut flour BUT it's kinda crazy expensive. I ended up standing in front of the flours for 15 minutes, all the while knowing I will be late for the last Special Olympics swim practice debating between quinoa flour (which is also super expensive), brown rice flour, white rice flour, garbanzo bean flour, or just walk out of the store after 15 minutes of debating. I finally settled for garbanzo bean flour. Read the back of a cookie mix and that was the main flour used. Walking out of the store, I was hoping and praying that these cookies will turn out.

That night, instead of getting onto studying for one of my 4 midterms, I wrote a recipe instead. Didn't take that long, but I was excited. I haven't even opened the pack of flour to see what it's texture is like, I just wrote a recipe. And guess what? It gave me real delicious cookies!

The lemon coriander part was inspired by the smell of coriander. My mom bought dried coriander last week, as soon as I smelled it I thought: lemon coriander cookies with white chocolate chips.

Hence, I present...

LEMON CORIANDER COOKIES WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS

Total time: 20 min
Bake time: 12 min
Oven temp: 350F
Makes: approximately 20 cookies

Just one egg left... no problemo!
3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp dried coriander
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup butter
1/8 cup white sugar
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup white chocolate chips

1. Mix all dry ingredients (lemon zest included)
2. Cream together butter and sugars, then add egg and vanilla extract. Mix well.
3. Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix-- when half incorporated, add the white chocolate chips, then keep mixing until just incorporated
*the dough will be quite wet for a cookie dough, but it will turn out, believe me!
4. Form small balls and slightly flatten--> bake on lined cookie sheet for 12min at 350F. Edges should be starting to brown.
*Make sure the balls are small-ish, they do spread quite a bit.

slightly wet dough
Small is key!


Note on eating: if you eat them fresh, they will be crisp and delicious; if you eat them way later (the next day), they will be soft and delicious. Consume either way, and enjoy, savour, the lemoniness and sweetness and just overall OMG in your mouth.

mmm fresh cookies!
Please do not be deterred by garbanzo bean flour. Yes, it's ground chickpeas. That may be a little weird. The dough did taste like chickpeas in a weird sort of way but once they're baked, you can't even tell. Even the pickiest eater I know liked it and can't tell there's a chickpea taste to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment